Colne lies to the north of Bluntisham and Earith, forming the apex of a ‘triangle’
of the three villages. The central area near the church is a conservation area.
St Helen’s church is Grade II listed and lies in a conservation area on the High
Street in the centre of the village behind the village green and the war memorial.
The present church was built in 1899–1900 after the previous church, dating from
the 13th–19th centuries, was irreparably damaged in 1896 when the tower collapsed
onto the church. It was built using much of the stone from the earlier one. Most
of the windows (except for the eastern window) are mediaeval, from the earlier church,
and several other features were installed from the older church, including the top
of the 14th-century font, and the four arches that form the southern arcade. The
1693 memorial plaque on the north wall was also taken from the previous church.